Long term volunteer Lizi is an enthusiastic natural living ambassador working with both locally grown produce and foraged goods to make anything from cakes and preserves to face scrubs and bath bombs. Here is her recipe of the season.
The clocks have gone back an hour, the nights are drawing in, the weather is turning colder by the day, winter is well and truly showing its face bringing along a sense of lethargy within. It is a time for warm foods which are comforting and not only do these brownies deliver on the comfort factor they also provide more than enough energy to see you through from sunrise to sunset, and some.
Not only are they packed full of healthy ingredients, they are also suitable for nearly all dietary requirements being gluten, dairy and refined sugar free but by no means taste free!
Pumpkin being of a cooling nature helps to regulate blood sugar balance and also promotes discharge of mucus from the lungs, bronchi and throat making it the perfect ingredient for those experiencing the common cold or flu. A guilt free nutritious, delicious treat. Whoever knew that healthy eating could be so delicious?!
Recipe- Makes 10 brownies
80g ground almonds
100g brown rice flour
14 chopped dates (soaked in water for one hour)
8 tbsp of coco powder
3 tbsp of apple juice not from concentrate
½ tsp of vanilla essence
pinch of salt
optional: 50g roughly chopped walnuts
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees
- Cut the pumpkin and place in the oven to soften (this should take about 20 mins)
- Take out of the oven and remove the skin, cut the flesh in to small chunks.
- Simmer the pumpkin chunks in water until soft
- Add the pumpkin chunks and dates together and blitz in a food processor until completely mixed.
- Add the ground almonds, brown rice flour, coco powder and salt to the date/ pumpkin mixture.
- Pour in the apple juice and vanilla essence and if using the chopped walnuts
- Combine all the ingredients well, the mixture should be thick and gloopy
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper
- Pour in the mixture, be sure to spread it out evenly
- Cook for 30 mins
- Allow to cool so that the mixture sets
- Eat and enjoy!